caza mayor de palabras
máquina espacial

powered by FreeFind
luna
lunar phases
máquina del tiempo
periodista.soy
  • La depresión post-parto
  • Pensiones de jubilación
  • Viviendas de Protección Pública
  • contacto
    ¿Te gustarí­a decirme algo sobre esta weblog o tal vez colaborar? Tell me your opinion about this blog and take part in it
    recomienda este blog
    Recommend this blog
    Destinatario/Recipient

    algunos derechos reservados
    Creative Commons License

    Esta obra está bajo una
    licencia de Creative Commons.
    18.7.06
    New Art Gallery in Columbia
    Interview

    Timm Siebeneck: "My main profession is dreaming about what can be realized"


    Interview by Laura R. C.

    Photographs by Timm Siebeneck
    Serenity mirrors in his face and expression, but Timm Siebeneck is the most dynamic and creative person that I have known in Columbia. This 37 years old man was born in Kansas City, Mo, but he has lived in Columbia for about 13 years, where he works as a teacher and supervisor at the English Language Institute, as well as translator. He also develops his artistic side painting, writing and playing music. Two years ago he bought a house in the historic district of Rocheport, where he takes care of a farm, and now has opened a new art gallery and bookstore called “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow”, at Bauernhof Siebeneck. Although he is still building it and has little inventory, you can visit this place already on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, from 10:00 a.m. or earlier to roughly 2:00 p.m. or later on. "If I’m around, I’ll open it", Timm says.

    Q.: What can we find in “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow”?
    A.: I haven’t had time to stock the place well, but you can find paintings, sculpture, artsy birdhouses, homemade soap, homemade candles, German books of all genres printed in Missouri during the 19th and 20th centuries, antiques books of all genres, and lots of other stuff to come. I try to make everything myself or have my neighbours and friends make it. The business also entails my translating Romance and Germanic languages like Latin, French, Spanish, Italian, German and German dialects, Dutch, Flemish. I can translate from any one language into any other. My favourite materials to translate are genealogical documents and personal letters and correspondences that are many centuries old.

    Q.: Is it affordable?
    A.: I’m all about a deal, so I’m trying not to have outrageous prices. I’ll have lots of artwork and antique books under $50.00. I’ll sell many other gift items much less than $20.00. I’ll try to accommodate anyone within reason.

    Q.: How would you describe your Art Gallery?
    A.: The Legend of Sleepy Hollow is a story written by Washington Irving. In the story, there is a headless horseman who carries a pumpkin and squashes unsuspecting victims with his fiery jack o’ lantern. Ichabod Crane, a gentle school teacher, finally builds up the courage to confront the horseman. It’s a tale which is popular around Halloween. It was one of my favourite stories as a child and still is. In the old movie and cartoon, I really thought Ichabod’s house was cool, so I wanted to reproduce it in a way.

    Q.: How did you build it?
    A.: I built it all myself with mostly scrap lumber and recycled materials. I thank my generous neighbours for supporting me by dropping off lumber, kindness and inspiration. It’s a period place made to resemble 1799-1840. I still have a lot of work to do like installing a wooden floor, painting fine details, building more furniture.
    Q.: Why did you decide to create this space?
    A.: One day I was talking to a friend about all the projects I have written down in my project journal that I have to finish, and then it just took hold of me—I should open a gallery. After the initial thought, it created me.

    Q.: What is your main profession?
    A.: It’s really hard to say. I love teaching, creating art, translating. I think my main profession is dreaming about what can be realized.

    Q.: What is the meaning of painting in your life?
    A.: Painting is a relationship between the artist and other people. It’s also one of the ways the spirit corresponds with the world and it is a love-letter to God.

    Q.: You are painter, teacher, translator, language institute supervisor, you take care of a farmhouse and you have built this space with your own hands. Will this Gallery be as dynamic as your life is?
    A.: I guess it would be difficult for it to be anything less.

    Q.: How would you like to influence the community of Columbia with this new cultural space?
    A.: I just wanted to share my world a bit—no big plans to influence anyone; but inspire, now that’s a word…maybe inspire.






    Contact Information
    Art Gallery address: Bauernhof Siebeneck, 214 Central Street. Rocheport, MO 65279
    A skippin’ stone’s throw from the Mighty Missouri River
    Phone: 573-690-7680
    Email:
    bauernhofsiebeneck@yahoo.com
    Timm Siebeneck Webpage

    posted by Laura R. C. @ 12:41  
    0 Comments:
    Publicar un comentario
    << Home
     
    Quién es Yo?

    This is a bilingual -Spanish and English- space to set free creativeness and uphold communication. It is the negation of the maxim that recommends people to be conformist and quiet: "see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil". See, hear and speak with me! Laura R. C. Columbia MO (USA).
    Para curiosos/Glance at

    mirada objetivada
    el bolso de Poppins
    salgamos a pasear
    interesting columbia